ABOUT | Pastor J. L. Warfield, Sr.
Rev. Jerome L. Warfield, Sr. is a family man, his wife Jacqueline, daughter, Jessica, sons, Jerome and Justin are the essence of his life. Rev. Warfield is highly respected, spiritually led, and actively involved throughout the Metro Detroit community.
Rev. Warfield is Pastor of Mt. Vernon Missionary Baptist Church. Under Pastor Warfield’s leadership, Mt Vernon has grown significantly. There are more than 20 active and thriving ministries under his leadership. Pastor Warfield uses every spiritual gift given to him to spread the gospel. He preaches, teaches, leads and motivates. He works with the University of Michigan, Skillman Foundation, Fisher Foundation, and others concerning neighborhood collaborative partnerships. Additionally, Pastor Warfield is Chairman of Trinity Community Development, Mt. Vernon’s 501c3 organization. Through this ministry, Pastor Warfield founded Trinity’s Summer Youth Employment Program. SYEP trains young people in resume writing, interviewing techniques and other job readiness skills. SYEP has placed over six hundred (600) youth in summer work opportunities. A number of these youth were offered full time employment from their employers.
Rev. Warfield is a native of Detroit, MI. He accepted Christ as his savior at the age of eight, at the Calvary Baptist Church under the leadership of the late Rev. Dr. L. Juan Burt. Rev. Warfield served as an Associate Minister of the Unity Missionary Baptist Church under the leadership of Rev. Dr. Valmon D. Stotts where he has been an active member for the past 26 years.
Rev. Warfield is a product of the Detroit Public School system. He graduated from Chadsey High school with honors. He earned his Masters of Arts in Pastoral Counseling from Ashland Theological Seminary in June of 2002. Rev. Warfield received his Bachelor of Arts from Michigan State University in Political Science and Criminal Justice. In honor of Rev. Warfield’s commitment to academics and his outstanding leadership ability, he was voted by his graduating class to deliver the Commencement address for the 1989 winter term Commencement ceremonies at M.S.U.
Rev. Warfield is past President of Brightmoor Alliance, a coalition of organizations dedicated to serving northwest Detroit’s Brightmoor community. Under Pastor Warfield’s leadership, Brightmoor Alliance has increased its membership from 33 to over 70 organizations and 100 residents. The members of the Alliance share a vision for the community that is built on faith, and provides opportunities for all residents of the community to pray, grow, learn, thrive and play.
Rev. Warfield has been selected by Mayor Dave Bing to serve on the Detroit Advisory Task Force which will conduct meetings throughout the city in an effort to solicit ideas and recommendations from citizens regarding land use/management.
Rev. Warfield is a Mayoral appointee of Mayor Dave Bing, serving on the Detroit Police Commission. This five member Commission, which Rev. Warfield, served as chair of the board, heads the police department as it reviews, evaluates and establish department policies, rules and regulations.
Rev. Warfield is also a graduate of the Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce Leadership Detroit program. This program helps senior level executives in southeast Michigan to develop leadership skills and in-depth knowledge of regional issues.
Rev. Warfield has received the 2007 Outstanding Ecumenical Leader Award from the N.E.X.T Detroit Neighborhood initiative. He has also been designated by former Mayor Kilpatrick’s office as the “Community Champion” in Brightmoor for helping spearhead the revitalization and redevelopment efforts on behalf of the Mayor’s Next Detroit Neighborhood Initiative, as well as the State of Michigan Safe Routes to School program. Pastor Warfield also sits on the board of advisors for the Skillman Foundation in their efforts to improve the quality of life of the residents of Brightmoor.
Rev. Warfield has worked in corporate America for over 17 years within the healthcare industry. He has successfully served as a sales consultant for several fortune 500 companies: The Novartis Pharmaceutical Corporation, Bausch & Lomb, 3M Corporation, 3M Media, and MERCK & Co. He has been recognized by his peers as the most productive contributor of new and innovative selling techniques. Pastor Warfield has received numerous accolades and awards for his dedicated service to the church as well as the community at large.
- Elected as Chairman of the Detroit Police Commission.
- Elected as President of Brightmoor Alliance.
- Facilitated Skillman’s Good Neighborhood Initiative in the Brightmoor Neighborhood.
- Initiated Brightmoor Crime Task Force, responsible for catching over twenty (20) convicted felons and the perpetrator of sexual assaults on school age children.
- Chaired Skillman’s Crime and Safety Action Planning Committee.
- Worked with Sheriff Warren Evans and Judge Leona Lloyd on the Fresh Start Program.
- Worked closely and facilitated the Mayor’s N.E.X.T. Detroit Neighborhood Initiative in Brightmoor.
- Lead effort in to secure $375,000.00 in Safe Routes to School for Brightmoor Students.
- Collaborated with the University of Michigan School of Urban Planning to develop rebuild plan for Brightmoor.
- Collaborated with the University of Detroit School of Architecture to develop a rebuild plan for Brightmoor.
- Collaborated with Michigan State University Extension program to offer classed in Brightmoor for residents.
- Collaborated with College for creative Design to develop Community Arts program for Brightmoor.
- Collaborated with Detroit Community Justice Partnership to start a Summer Youth Tech Leadership Training Academy.
- Collaborated with the Skillman Foundation to offer Summer Jobs for youth to work in local Brightmoor businesses.
- Secured $300,000.00 to build the capacity of Brightmoor Alliance to hire a paid staff, first time in it’s nine-year history.
- Lead delegation to Pittsburgh, PA to explore the possibility of opening a type of Manchester Bidwell Training Facility in Brightmoor.
- Sponsor Annual Back to School Give Away, distributing over 250 back packs full of school supplies to students in the Brightmoor Neighborhood.
- Sponsor Annual May Day Parade and celebration. Community gathering event to highlight services and talents in the area.
- Sponsor weekly Feeding Program for residents in the Brightmoor Neighborhood.
- Sponsor weekly Pantry Food Giveaway to residents in the Brightmoor Area.
- Sponsor Annual Octoberfest, Community festival encouraging families to play and fellowship together.
- Initiated Brightmoor Alliance Food Pantry, organizing the various food pantries that serve the 48223 zip code to maximize food resources.
- Recipient, Novartis Sales Workshop Top Performer Award “Best In Class”. March, 2004.
- Recipient, Bausch & Lomb Q1 National Sales Meeting Sell Contest, for finishing 3rd in the country in overall sales. May 1999.
- Recipient, 3M Sales Training Best Contributor Award, for innovative selling techniques and outstanding product knowledge. July, 1994.
- Featured in the quarterly publication of Merck & Co. FRONTLINE, highlighting my work in Detroit's complex healthcare system. Fourth Quarter, 1991.
- Featured in a company sponsored video presentation, portraying my contributions to Merck & Co. and the community. February, 1991.
- Recipient, of Merck & Co. Black History Committee Certificate of Recognition for outstanding community service. February, 1990.
- Commencement Speaker, Michigan State University. March, 1989.
Mt. Vernon Missionary Baptist Church – Senior Pastor
Council of Baptist Pastors of Detroit and Vicinity
Brightmoor Alliance - Chairperson
Brightmoor Pastor's Alliance
Unity Baptist Church - Associate Minister
Michigan Progressive Baptist Convention – V. P. Christian Social Concerns
American Baptist Convention
Great Start Collaborative – Wayne County
Right to Life of Michigan
American Association of Christian Counselors
Family Life Ministries
The Healthy Marriage Initiative of Wayne County
Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity
Copyright © 2022 J. L. Warfield Ministries. All Rights Reserved.